On Tuesday January 10, 2023, the chairmen and secretaries of the five states in the zone met under the chairmanship of the Vice President of SWAN, Southeast, Ms. Chigozie Chukwuleta with other National Officers from the zone and deliberated on sundry issues of interest including the state of the association and the forthcoming national delegate elections.
After taking a critical look at the state of sports in the zone, Southeast SWAN made the following observations:
.1.Southeast SWAN expressed satisfaction with the participation of the states in the zone including Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu and Imo at the just concluded National Sports Festival in Asaba, Delta State but noted with concern, the unimpressive performances of the states with none of them among the top 10 on the overall medals’ table.
2. The officials of the association in the zone observes that Governors of Southeast States have exhibited lackadaisical attitude to the sports sector in their various domains as seen in the poor or complete absence of sports infrastructure and sporting facilities and called on them to take sports seriously and fund it appropriately.
3. Southeast SWAN calls on Governors in the zone to revive grassroots sports at the states and zonal level with the aim of getting the zone back to its place of pride..
4. SWAN Southeast encourages States in the zone to participate in the forthcoming National Youth Games (NYG) with the Governors in the zone urged to support their contingent with the logistics needed early and adequately.
5. The zone’s SWAN officials appealed to the Governors to have a good reward system for sportsmen and women to serve as a motivation and check the ugly trend of poaching of athletes which they have invested much in.
6. Southeast SWAN called on Anambra and Ebonyi State Governors to endeavour to float state football teams male and female by adopting an existing one or creating one from scratch.
7. The officials of the association in the zone expressed concern over the dwindling fortunes of Imo State owned Heartland FC and called on the state government to do all it can to ensure that the club returns to the elite football division as soon as possible.
8. Southeast SWAN commiserated with Imo state government and family of late Chukwuemeka Igboanugo the boxer who died during the National Sports Festival in Asaba, Delta State in active service.
9. The body called on the Imo State government to immortalize late Chukwuemeka Igboanugo and adopt his young family to ensure his children don’t bear the full consequences of the unfortunate loss of their breadwinner.
Chairman Communiqué Drafting Committee
Secretary Communiqué Drafting Committee
Member Communiqué Drafting Committee