Four injury-time goals as Charlton and Ipswich draw



Ipswich Town manager Kieran McKenna admitted there was a mixture of “frustration, anger and disappointment” as his team conceded twice to Charlton Athletic deep into injury time to miss the chance to go top of League One.

The Tractor Boys, who had earlier squandered a 2-0 lead, had already scored twice themselves in stoppage time through Freddie Ladapo and Sam Morsy to go 4-2 in front – a win that would have taken them above leaders Plymouth Argyle.

However, there was still time for Terell Thomas to pull one back in the sixth minute of added time before George Dobson netted a dramatic equaliser in the 99th minute.”It’s hard to verbalise the feelings,” McKenna told BBC Radio Suffolk.

“It was a rollercoaster of a game and of emotions.”There is obviously a lot of frustration, anger and disappointment in the dressing room at the manner of the goals we conceded.

That’s how it should be.”We showed great character after 2-2 and at 96 minutes we put ourselves into a position that we have to win the game from.”My feelings are that it wasn’t a lack of concentration or certainly not sloppiness, but a lack of control of our emotions as it was an emotional game.

“For Charlton manager Ben Garner, who was sent off just after Ipswich had gone 2-0 up, there was pride at how his Addicks players fought back.”I’m so proud of the players,” he said.

“To come back from two down once is amazing – to do it twice in the same game, in stoppage time, shows the character and team spirit that is growing.

“They are the strongest team in the division and we went toe to toe with them for long periods and were better than them for long periods of the game.

“The visitors had gone ahead in the second minute of first-half stoppage time when George Edmundson emphatically headed Leif Davis’ corner past Addicks goalkeeper Joe Wollacott.

Tyreece John-Jules made it 2-0 after 52 minutes as he beat Wollacott to Wes Burns’ cross.Garner, incensed at the awarding of a free-kick in the lead up, was sent off by referee Josh Smith.

The hosts clawed themselves level as Jesurun Rak-Sakyi followed up after Christian Walton could only parry Corey Blackett-Taylor’s strike, before Walton spilled Blackett-Taylor’s low shot with Albie Morgan converting in the 76th minute.

There were six added minutes signalled and those in attendance witnessed a stunning conclusion.Ipswich substitute Ladapo rifled home from the edge of the box before Morsy also finished from range.

Thomas then bundled in from five yards out before Dobson headed home a leveller in the ninth additional minute.

Google search engine


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here